Thursday, October 11, 2012

On My Honor

        When I got this assignment it was an extremely easy choice for me. My favorite hobby would have to be Girl Scouts. I started  Scouts when I was 5 years old. Every 1st grade girl gets a letter home about Girl Scouts when she is that young. My mom thought it would be a good opportunity for me, so it all began.
         Over my 11 years of being in Scouts I have done MANY things. I have facilitated hundreds of programs, helped thousands of girls, hiked miles and miles in the deep woods, and earned important awards. I am currently a Senior Girl Scout, after my 10th grade year I will be an ambassador Girl Scout. Ambassador is the last rank of girl scouting possible, then when you turn 18 (if you still decide to stay in) you will be a Adult Volunteer.
     Scouting is way more than selling cookies like most people think. It can become a lot of hard work,  because once you get to be a certain age in scouting you are no longer "doing crafts" and "playing games". You become the older girl that helps the little ones with their crafts. You become the one cooking Chili on an open fire for 100+ girls. You become the one that spends over 7 hours a week devoted to planning programs and thinking of new, exciting things to do.
     This is my favorite part of Scouting. I love working with the little girls and coming up with new events for them to go to. I love teaching younger girl the values and morels they should have in life. I love being the person they look up to and I hope they think "Wow, I want to be just like her when I grow up"  I recently started a group for high scout girl scouts, since we are a rarity. Currently in the group we are planning a Halloween Party for about 175 girls. I think it is so much fun to decide what games to play and what prizes to give out.
      I love Scouting. It has become a HUGE part of my life over the years. I know that even when I graduate I will still be involved. I hope to get my lifetime membership when I turn 18. That means that for the rest of my life I will be a registered Girl Scout. It brings me joy knowing that my blood will forever be green.

1 comment:

  1. You say when "you" turn 18 "you" can become an adult volunteer. I cannot because I am not a girl. Avoid using "you." It can be confusing.

    ReplyDelete